09 January 2011

3rd Blog is a charm

Intro
   Welcome to my newest blog, dedicated to the Social Role of the Media grad class I'm taking this semester at Kent State, taught by John "the ethics master" Bowen.
   This blog is one of three I currently manage.
   The first, called Lori King's Blog, began as a class requirement for my Teaching Multimedia course at Kent. It still exists, but has been in hiatus since summer, and will remain so until I graduate. However, it's still active and offers quite a bit of journalism ethics content, as well as photos and thoughts from the Kent State/New York Media Seminar last year. It's pricey, but I highly recommend it!
   The second blog is dedicated to the Intro to Photojournalism class I teach at Owens Community College. Blogging is a course requirement, because this is a perfect time to teach collegiate journalism students about the ethics and responsibilities of social media tools.
   According to the syllabus,  I am required to "create and maintain a blog that addresses social role concepts and issues we are discussing weekly."

The influence of the Internet
   The field of journalism has changed tremendously over the years, or has it? There's no doubt the delivery methods of getting our news has expanded. But have the basic principles of journalism changed? Is the Internet the cause for the death of so many newspapers throughout the country? Is it too easy for citizen journalists to have a say in the news business? Or are citizen journalists actually keeping the working press honest, like the working press is expected to do with our democratic government?
   These are just a few of the many questions I'm looking forward to examining this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment