21 October 2012

On sleepless nights, a weary mind and graduation


   It’s 2 a.m. on a Saturday night.
   I should be in bed, but all I can think about is my Master’s project, amongst other things.  What still needs to be done? Can it be done in time? Can I do it?
   The good news is that the literature review, which is the bulk of the proposal paper, is nearly complete. The proposal has been through multiple drafts, and I’m anticipating a green light on the project any day now.
   I just reprinted the survey and the survey paperwork, which is now ready to be shipped off for approval from the powers that be at KSU.  Once the survey is deemed safe for human experimentation, I can work on getting it into the hands of the teachers. This will be the second hardest chore of the project, considering I must rely on busy teachers to take the survey and return it to me in a timely manner. Should I promise them chocolate?
   Then there’s the design of the course, which won’t be too labor intensive.  I’ve been teaching basic photography and photojournalism courses at Owens Community College since 2006.  I have a strong instinct on what teachers might want to learn. The survey will help with that, as well.
   It’s now 2:24 a.m.,
   I must force myself to rest my weary mind, which won’t stop. I still have a cap and gown to order. Who will I invite to my graduation? I only have 12 tickets but there are 13 people on the invite list. I hope the survey will be approved. Should I go to each local school and talk to the teachers in person? My lawn needs mowing and the patio furniture needs to be stored for the winter. Both campers need winterizing. Will Obama win? Please let Obama win. Dang, I forgot to give one of my cats his ear medicine today. I must finish grading before Monday………….
   See what I mean? Time to pop a sleeping aid and call it a night.
(UPDATE Nov. 30 - The survey was turned in too late and not included in the study. However, during the defense yesterday my committee members agreed it wouldn't have helped much anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment