05 May 2010

Education is not cheap

I practically winced when I voted for the TPS levy yesterday.
For the past 13 years, my mortgage payment has steadily increased due to taxes, but the value of my home decreased because of the economy. That levy would have really taken a bit out of my already dwindling paycheck.
But how could I not vote for it? Like my friend Rose once said while playing the game of LIFE, "I got kids!"
Quinn has been accepted to the Toledo School for the Arts, so no TPS worries there.
But Jolee wants to change from her charter school to Glendale Feilbach. We're seriously considering it because of the bus service. Our kids have never ridden a school bus, and this would give Jolee a great opportunity to ride the bus with other neighborhood kids. That's a huge concern - our kids don't know the other kids in the neighborhood because they don't share a bus or a classroom. But because of the failed levy, bus service might not be available for kids living within a 2-mile radius. We live 1.2 miles away from the TP school.
Like it or not, the local school system needs to be supported by everyone in the community because Toledo kids are the future, and I can't imagine a future where Toledo kids don't have sports, arts, gym and bus service.

No comments:

Post a Comment